Wer-Was-Wo - Detailanzeige
Ergebnisanzeige "WiG 2015: Pre-20th Century Panel How Are Feminist Voices from Centuries past still relevant for us today?"
|Ressourcentyp||Call for Papers|
|Titel||WiG 2015: Pre-20th Century Panel How Are Feminist Voices from Centuries past still relevant for us today?|
|Beschreibung||Women in German Conference
The Banff Centre, Banff, Alberta (Canada)
October 22 - 25, 2015
Pre-Twentieth Century Panel: How Are Feminist Voices from Centuries Past Still Relevant for us Today?
A superficial understanding of feminism today considers it a no longer relevant political movement because early goals of women’s suffrage and integration in the labor force have been accomplished. Why, therefore, is it worthwhile studying literature written prior to the twentieth century that demands political and social access that has ostensibly been achieved? Because, then as now, women writers and feminist thinkers have argued for more encompassing social change that expands beyond mere access to institutions and includes revised definitions of social roles for women and men as well as broader interpretations of political and economic justice domestically and globally. This panel will discuss earlier manifestations of feminism, how they might differ from feminist thought today, why they are still relevant, and what we can learn from them. Papers could address questions such as:
• Is it anachronistic to use the word “feminist” to describe thinking that pre-dates the term?
• How did early feminist voices prepare the path for feminists today?
• Can ideas expressed by early feminist women writers help contribute to finding solutions to contemporary problems?
• How can women from centuries past provide inspiration for women in search of a public voice today?
• What might be lost when focusing exclusively on modern incarnations of feminism?
Abstracts of approximately 250 words should be sent by March 8th, 2015 to both Jessica Riviere (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Regine Schwarzmeier (email@example.com).
|Quelle der Beschreibung||Information des Anbieters|
|Ein Angebot von|
|URL dieses Wer-Was-Wo-Datensatzes||http://www.germanistik-im-netz.de/wer-was-wo/44674|